There is no question that men are increasingly using yoga to improve their health and athleticism. Celebrities, athletes, and weekend warriors alike are benefiting from the practice. In this article, we will explore the perspectives of different men who use yoga in various ways.
What's the benefit of yoga for men?
Apart from all of the other great benefits yoga offers to anyone, some are specific to men.
Increased Sexual Performance
In a 2007 study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, it was concluded that yoga appeared to be, "a feasible, safe, effective, and acceptable nonpharmacological option for PE [Premature Ejaculation]."
This study was focused on comparing the effect of yoga on premature ejaculation vs. fluoxetine, an antidepressant and SSRI, and its effect on treating PE.
The study was performed 68 total patients - 38 in the yoga group and the remaining 30 in the fluoxetine group. 100% of the patients in the yoga group had a statistically signficant improvement in PE, while only 82% (25 patients) of the fluoxetine group had a statistically significant improvement.
While additional studies need to be performed to verify these results, it does signal that yoga may be an effective, and relatively low-cost, method to last longer in the bedroom.
Improved Sleep Quality
Sleep apnea is an issue that affects millions of Americans and is typically more common, or at least, more frequently diagnosed in men.
While this is not a cure-all solution for sleep apnea, certain yoga poses may relieve tension in the neck, shoulders, or upper back that compress their airways during sleep. Airways may become blocked for several reasons other than stiff muscles. However, yoga is a relatively easy solution to aid in relaxing, both mental and physical, before bedtime.
Famous male athletes and celebrities who practice yoga
For those in Europe or the Premier League Football world, Ryan Giggs is as well-known as they come. Giggs is a living legend for Manchester United and is one of the most decorated players in the club's history. Here is a brief excerpt of Giggs's resume.
963 appearances for Manchester United.
171 Goals, 162 Assists
34 total trophies won, including 13 Premier League Titles, and a World Cup Victory
However, the one thing that makes him stand out the most amongst his peers is the length of his career. Most players last for around 8 years. Ryan Giggs had an astonishing 24-year playing career.
Ryan Giggs is no stranger to the winner's circle, or the yoga mat.
Giggs credits yoga with prolonging his career, allowing him to play at a high level until he was 40 years old. He's quoted as saying, "Yoga helped me stay fit and agile throughout my career."
One of the most, if not the most, famous basketball players in the world. He's a household name and has been for over a decade. He's also known for his incredible work ethic and dedication to his craft. It should come as no surprise that he uses yoga as part of his training regimen.
It's been reported that yoga is an essential part of Lebron's routine every week. He's been quoted saying, "Yoga isn't just about the body, it's also about the mind and it's a technique that has really helped me." James and his athletic trainer have spent several years developing his yoga training regimen.
Matthew McConaughey is an Academy Award-winning actor who has starred in some of the most popular movies over the last two decades. He's best known for his work in films like Dazed and Confused, The Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club, and Interstellar.
But what many people don't know about Matthew McConaughey is that he's a big fan of yoga. He credits yoga with helping him stay in shape and keeping his energy levels up. In the high-stress, fast-moving world that is Hollywood, it's no surprise that someone in as high demand as McConaughey needs time to decompress and realign himself.
In June of 2021, McConaughey had a video meeting with Sadhguru, a world-renowned yoga guru who has been teaching yoga in Southern India since 1982. In this discussion, McConaughey and Sadhguru discuss karma, crafting one's own destiny, the connection between yoga and religion, and exploring the unknown.
Maroon 5's frontman, Adam Levine, has been quoted as saying that, "he feels so fortunate to have found Yoga."
Levine, who is known for his high-energy and often hectic lifestyle, has found that yoga provides him with a much-needed outlet to relax and de-stress. He's also said that it helps him stay in shape and maintain his flexibility.
Yet another professional soccer player is on the list. Beckham is one of the most famous athletes in the world and is known for his incredible career with Manchester United, Real Madrid, and the England National Team.
Beckham was introduced to hot yoga by basketball legend, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. After a single session, Beckham was hooked and brought back the practice to Hollywood to share with his friends and colleagues.
Russel Brand is a comedian, actor, and author who has been in the public eye for over two decades. He's known for his high-energy and often outrageous persona.
But what many people don't know about Russel Brand is that he's a big fan of yoga. Yoga has been one of the transformational practices he incorporated to become and remain sober.
You may know him best as Thor from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Chris Hemsworth is so much more than just a superhero. He's also an avid surfer, philanthropist, and father of three.
Hemsworth credits yoga with helping him stay in shape and keeping his energy levels up. It's also been reported that yoga has helped him stay calm and focused during high-pressure situations.
Hemsworth's Centr, a personal training company, even has a 4-week yoga and pilates program. The class a combination of 2 yoga and 2 pilates classes per week for 4 weeks.
What celebrities do yoga?
To name a few:
- Lebron James
- Ryan Giggs
- Matthew McConaughey
- Adam Levine
- David Beckham
- Russel Brand
- Chris Hemsworth
- Ray Lewis
- Justin Timberlake
- Ryan Gosling
- Jeremy Piven
- Orlando Bloom
- Robert Downey Jr.
- Colin Farrell
- Tom Hanks
- Russell Simmons
What type of yoga do celebrities and athletes do?
Most athletes and celebrities perform some of the most common types including hot yoga, vinyasa, and others. Nearly all professional athletes who do yoga, tailor it to their current workout regimen.
1. ORIGINAL RESEARCH—EJACULATORY DISORDERS: Yoga in Premature Ejaculation: A Comparative Trial with Fluoxetine (no date) The Journal of Sexual Medicine. Available at: https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/article/S1743-6095(15)31694-5/fulltext (Accessed: September 1, 2022).
2. Staff, R.T. (2007) Gender differences in sleep apnea, RT Magazine. Available at: https://rtmagazine.com/department-management/clinical/gender-differences-in-sleep-apnea/ (Accessed: September 1, 2022).
3.Brian Windhorst, T.P.D. (2009) Lebron's extra edge: Cavaliers star's devotion to yoga training helps keep James Healthy, cleveland. Available at: https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2009/03/lebrons_extra_edge_cavaliers_s.html (Accessed: October 31, 2022).
4. Celebretainment (2019) Adam Levine: Yoga's had a profoundly positive impact on my life, AP NEWS. Associated Press. Available at: https://apnews.com/article/488fe61eece04b098b78a9e6b9a5fe7c (Accessed: October 31, 2022).
5. DeSantis, R. (2019) Adam Levine gets sentimental about yoga, Peoplemag. PEOPLE. Available at: https://people.com/health/adam-levine-sentimental-yoga/ (Accessed: October 31, 2022).
6. Ingham, J. (2010) David Beckham hopes yoga craze helps rescue his career, Dailystar.co.uk. Available at: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/david-beckham-hopes-yoga-craze-18248370 (Accessed: October 31, 2022).
7. Ryan Giggs reveals how yoga helped him become the most successful British footballer in history (no date) RSNG USA. Available at: https://www.rsng.com/categories/movement-fuel/articles/ryan-giggs-reveals-how-yoga-helped-him-become-the-most-successful-british-footballer-in-history (Accessed: October 31, 2022).
8. Team, C. (no date) CENTR ALIGN is your 4-week Yoga & Pilates Program, Centr. Centr, By Chris Hemsworth. Available at: https://centr.com/blog/show/14620/centr-align-is-your-4-week-yoga-and-pilates-program (Accessed: October 31, 2022).
9. Yoga for ear problems | livestrong (no date) LIVESTRONG.COM. Leaf Group. Available at: https://www.livestrong.com/article/287722-yoga-for-ear-problems/ (Accessed: October 31, 2022).