Off the mat and into the air!
June 2014 - November 2014
You're never so alive as when your world gets turned upside down!
AERIAL YOGA takes your yoga practice off the mat and into the air.
Suspending your body elongates your spine and frees-up physical compression
for healthier joint mobilization. This new art form will also develop tremendous
upper body and core strength. For students yearning for something different to
explore, this class is the perfect solution. Aerial Yoga differs from Aerial Dance in
that it remains closer to the ground and supports all your yoga postures on suspended fabric. Aerial Yoga combines traditional Yoga with the physical training of an Aerialist. Uniquely developed for beginners thru all levels of experience.
Dress Code: Please remove all jewelry and wear a T-shirt
Dropping into class costs $25.
Pre-registration 24 hrs in advance is necessary as there are only 8 silks.
Please call the studio to pay for your class and reserve a spot (919-933-9642) or
REGISTER ONLINE HERE for the Monday or Saturday class...please specify!
'No shows' will not be refunded.
Please arrive 10 minutes before class time to find the appropriate fabic. If class has started when you arrive, you will have to come back another time.
Please wear a T-shirt!
If you purchase an Aerial Yoga Pass Card the day of your first class
you are eligable for the FREE class on your new card (6 classes for $100)
Your AERIAL YOGA PASS CARD is a 5 class pass for $100
and is good for 3 months from date of purchase.
The FREQUENT FLYER AERIAL YOGA PASS CARD
is earned if you renew your current card before it is full and
we give you a FREE bonus class on your new card for free
(6 classes for $100=$16.67 per class).
If you already carry a Triangle Yoga pass card you can
use that card for these classes and two classes will be signed off
on your card for every Aerial Yoga class you take.
AERIAL YOGA CLASSES
Mondays, 9:30am - 10:45am
Saturdays, 1pm - 2:15pm
Wednesdays @ 9:30am: PRACTICE CLASS for experienced aerialists only,
CANCELLED the following Saturdays due to the Aerial Yoga Teacher Training:
Mar 29, Apr 12
AERIAL PRACTICE CLASS
(for experienced aerialists only)
Sundays, 2:30pm - 4pm
The Practice Class is only $10 to drop-in,
but you can also prepay for as many drop-ins as you'd like
and get an EXPRESS CARD (no expiration).
The Practice Class is where you work on your skills
(children under 18 need parental supervision).
CANCELLED the following Sundays due to the Aerial Yoga Teacher Training:
March 30, Apr 13
Check out an Aerial Yoga Class in action:
The BENEFITS of AERIAL YOGA
1. Increased pose access and improved balance: The hammock unloads some or all of your weight, qualifying it as an inclusive prop for any ability; and it increases pose access when full weight bearing on certain joints is contraindicated or uncomfortable. The hammock is also used as a support prop in a balance pose and in navigating a safe approach to gradually building strength and balance.
2. Improved alignment and pain relief: You can practice traditional yoga poses in the hammock, such as downward dog, with a lift that allows postural refinement. When inverted, the combination of the hammock and gravity can allow therapeutic respite from spinal compression and a chance at relief to those experiencing back pain. While being inverted isn’t medically appropriate for everyone, Modified or gentle use of the hammock as the prop generally is, no matter the ability level.
3. Encourages body awareness, focus and a meditative practice: The mobility of the hammock and change in spatial orientation of poses encourages individuals to focus on the present moment. When taking a pose in an aerial yoga hammock, one might find it difficult to allow the mind to wander as the aerial version of the pose raises the requisite of focus, balance, coordination and recalibration of the body positioning.
4. Increases adventure and playfulness: In his book, PLAY, clinical researcher Stuart Brown, MD demonstrates that play is integral to our health and wellness. Brown says, “The beneficial effects of getting just a little true play can spread through our lives, actually making us more productive and happier in everything we do.” The aerial hammock added to a yoga practice can create a sense of adventure, cultivate self-trust and add playfulness to life for better mind and body health and life quality.
5. Inspires positive life changes: There are students who struggle with the perceived vulnerability of letting go and placing full trust into the hammock. But such effort is the work of life. Opening to the experience in yoga class can teach the ability to access an even keel and steady breath if life itself turns you on your head. Brene Brown, Ph.D., says her research indicates that “vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.” Allowing vulnerability into your yoga practice as a learning platform can inspire your life in the best of ways.
6. Calms the nervous system and offers support: The hammock has a profound calming effect on the nervous system. The suspension offers the option to gently rock while the fabric provides soothing compression to the skin, which stimulates circulation and encourages the relaxation response of the parasympathetic nervous system. Lying within the welcoming fold of the hammock, one is able to rest in full awareness on the sensory delight of the experience. You are literally lifted upward, held close, and fully accepted amidst free space for flight.
How to execute an Aerial Yoga Handstand
Rebecca Drake, Aerial Yoga Teacher